[ST] re: Break in?

>  From: "Scott Inman" <scott__inman@xxxxxxxxxxx>, on 05/02/2001 10:44:
>  Ok...
>
>  I should be picking my bike up within the next day or two.  I see the
>  break-in seems very hard to follow (i.e. can't go above 3000 RPM for 1st 100
>  miles, then then 4500 100-300 miles).  I bought the bike from a dealer that
>  is 50 miles away from home, and the only way to get home is the expressway.
>  Will it be ok to take it home and exceed 3000 RPM to make the speed limit
>  (70MPH) home?  I don't want to hurt my new baby! :)
>
>  Scott

	A few thoughts on breakin: The idea is to load and unload the parts so
that they mesh well, so it's not productive to run a constant speed for an
extended period of time. It's most likely not gonna hurt it, either, though.
What I'd do in your position would be to run the bike around for 20 to 30 miles
(or more if possible) in the local area of your dealer, accelerating and
decelerating and staying below the 3k threshold (that'll suck - it just
smoothes out at 3k). Then stop it and let it cool for a while before running
your 50 miles home. Still vary your speed when possible and try to stay under
3k, but if you run up to 3,500 it's not that bad.
	As your rpm limits go up, by all means use them! Rev it up in every
gear to get the gears to mesh well, too. Your shifter will be really stiff 'til
you can run it up into the upper bands. Many folks neglected running higher rpm
in 1st and/or 2nd and found they couldn't find neutral easily. Running higher
rpm in 1st and 2nd will make that go away quickly. Again, the idea of breakin
is to load and unload the parts so they mesh - constant speed cruising won't
hurt your bike, but it won't help parts mesh much, either.
	The last point is to change the oil. Make sure you get that first
service in as soon after 500 miles as possible, and personally I changed my oil
again at 3k even though the book says 6k (I change mine about every 3k all the
time, actually). It gets any small metal shavings out of your engine, of
course.

Enjoy!

	"Jedi Dawg"  Jim Huber
	'00 blue ST  "Rhiannon"