RE: [ST] OT: cell phones out west

8 weeks on the bikes!  Now where did I put that Lottery ticket?!

I wouldn't think you would have too much trouble getting a cell phone
signal along most highways through the Rockies.  Of course, if there is
a mountain between you and the tower, you might have to move along a few
miles to get the signal back.  I live in New Mexico (population less than
Boston) and have not had trouble getting a signal, even in the middle of
nowhere (we have a lot of nowhere around here).  It's sometimes weak but
can be improved by climbing up that hill a bit.

Do not buy a digital only phone.  You will need analog out here.  I have
Airtouch (now Verizon) service and a dual band phone (analog and
digital).  An phone running in Analog will take a lot more juice than one
running in Digital so charge the phone each night and leave it off until
you need to use it.  My phone can drain the battery in 4 hours in analog
mode (no phone calls, just on), but can stay powered up to about 14 hours
in digital mode.

I carry a cell phone, a first aid kit, a tire repair kit, and a tool kit
with me and have never needed any of them.   If you take it with you, you
won't need it.

Have a great trip.

Dan 'Hungry Dawg' Wallander
'99 ST