[ST] RE: Oiling the Rear Brake

> Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 16:58:00 -0400
> From: Erik Miner <Axeis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Try the Honda Pro Chain lube.. least fling I've found, clean and
> works great. Also always lube the chain when you get back from a ride
> while the chain is still warm ! That way it penetrates the chain, it
> dries, and doesn't fling. Also keep in mind that with a "O" ring
> chain you are not lubing the chain so much as keeping it clean.. if
> that makes sense.. the lube for the chain is in the o rings, the lube
> that you apply really is to keep all the exposed parts clean and rust
> free.

Erik,

The rings (O or X) seal a chamber that takes in the side plates the pin
links and the inside of the roller links. This lubricant is put into this
chamber at assembly time, and remains there for the life of the chain - the
rings stop it coming out, and by the same token, keep the crap from getting
in (which is part of the reason that both Regina and DID recommend you only
clean the chain using paraffin).

However, I disagree with your conclusion; there is another 'chamber' in need
of lubrication, which is not sealed. This is the bit between the roller and
the roller link.

In pre-O-ring days, one way to lubricate this bit was by cooking the chain
in graphite grease (mmmm - many a divorce over that one). The contemporary
method is to squirt the lubricant onto the inside flange of the roller link,
and get the lubricant pulled under the roller by capillary action. Both
sprays and Scottoilers work on this principle - So yes, doing it hot is
worthwhile (bear in mind that on the move, the chain might acts as a 5kW
heater!).

In areas where they strew roads with salt in Winter, the outsides of the
flanges can benefit from a smear of lubricant to keep the rust at bay.

BTW, I used to use PJ1 before I got a Scottoiler - I found it to be 'best of
breed'.

Regards,
- --
BRG