Re: [ST] RE: Countersteering

original message<<<<<<<<<

Keith wrote:
(first written mention of countersteering)
>>"Motorcycle Handling Performance for Obstacle Avoidance", Yoshinori
>>Watanabe
>& Keigo Yoshida, Honda R&D Co. Ltd., US DoT Technical Paper 73033, 1973.

Keith,

You are obviously a much more learned scholar than I.  Sounds like a very
complex paper. But the timing sounds about right.  In 1979 when I bought my
first Harley, I had the first discussion concerning countersteering with a
grizzled old biker called "Snake"(yup, not all Harley guys are dumb).  He
was the first person to mention the concept to me.  At first it sounded
ludicrous, but a quick ride and experiment and I was convinced (push left
bar right, go left).  I have never understood why there was ANY controversy.
  Anyone who has tested the theory cannot deny the veracity of the "prime
law of countersteering". (This does not work in a car however).

STeve Duncan
Underdawg
2K -ST (Betty)
Dallas, TX