Re: [ST] Southwestern Nevada

Thanks for the pointers!

>3) More of a winter or fall trip....would be to leave Las Vegas over hwy 160
>thru Pahrump and head thru Death Valley, Furnace Creek, Stovepipe Wells....
>gas is an issue potentially. You can get expensive gas at the Chevron in
>Furnace Creek, then there's not anything until Lone Pine. I've made it on
>the T595 before, and it has much less range than the 6.3 gallon Blackbird.
>The turnoff in Pahrump is tricky, and doesn't show up on all the maps. You
>drive thru Pahrump and look for signs to Ash Meadows....you're sure you've
>gone too far, then there it is. Keep an eye out for brown Nat'l Park type
>sign on the right. Wish I could remember the name of the road.....like
>Bonita Rd. or something.

Last year when I did this trip, also in May, I left Bakersfield on 178
and went up past Lake Isabella, then north on 395 to 190, through Death
Valley, then up 373 and down 95 into Vegas.  It was cold and rainy when
I started into the mountains in the morning, and then quite toasty in
Death Valley, although reasonable by DV standards.  It was also very
windy for most of the trip, and I did a fair bit of it leaned way over
even when I was going down the Interstate.

- -Patti