Re: [ST] RE: Countersteering

Paul Steinbacher wrote:

- ---

> I think you will find that more than a few 'respected' people who do
> motorcycle schools in this country (USA) teach you to 'steer' a motorcycle
> by applying pressure with feet or legs.

</lurk>

Ahhh. the old steer with the legs topic.  Isn't this supposed to be a wintertime
topic?

here is some info.

Keith Code teaches that you don't use your legs to steer.  You can't steer a
bike effectively with your legs.  He has had instructors attempt this on the
track, and no dice.  Taking a read of Bradley's "the racing motorcycle"
(available in North America from http://www.eurospares.com/ ) would give you the
math that would show you that it is not possible with a "typical" geometry and
suspension of today's marketed machines.  Bottom line...... It just isn't
possible.

Can anyone image a corner like T2 at laguna or T6 at sears with only leg input?

whew, I can't. <shudder>

The legs are crucial to balance, and performing weight transition/hanging off.
Use your legs to support smooth cornering -- the outside leg cradles the
tank/seat/fairing.  Use your hands for steering input.  If you do transition
your weight off the bike (hanging off -- there is little need to do this on the
street) use your legs to lift your carcass smoothly out of the seat, hang off
(drag knee heh heh), lift your carcass back onto the seat with your legs.
Pulling yourself up with your arms can induce headshake that may or may not
right itself  (think eat pavement).  Using your legs in this way is rather
tiring.  Again, I don't advocate doing this on the street, BUT on the street, I
do use my legs to keep my turns smooth, even though I am not hanging off, I am
practicing the technique of keeping the outside leg against the bike, and a
loose grip on the steering bars.

- --chuck

disclaimer:  I don't teach advanced riding technique (yet), but I do race, and I
do lots and lots of track days.  If you want to try this stuff out, jump into
those leathers, go out to a track, get some schooling from the instructors.  It
will do wonders for your confidence.  Track days AREN'T race days.  They are
days where you get to improve your riding skills in a safe environment.  Most of
them don't allow bonzai passing (stuffing), and many of them only allow outside
passing in the beginner groups.

<lurk>