Re: [ST] Normal problem with new Sprint ST?

on 5/5/01 6:40 AM, Scott Inman at scott__inman@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I've had my Sprint ST for 2 days now, and LOVE the bike.  The past two days,
> after coming home, I have wiped the bike down of excess road dust and bugs
> with wax cleaner.
>
> Maybe I'm overreacting, but I have noticed some sort of spillage around the
> chain guard, the rear rim, and the swingarm.  I wiped them down with a clean
> rag, and it smells and looks like anti-freeze.
>
> I took off the seat, and I found little "dots" of spillage in there as well.
> I've wiped it completely out, only to find it again this morning for a
> third time.  Is this normal for a new bike, or do I have a problem?
>
> The anti-freeze reservoir looks tight, and it is right between the low and
> high markings, as it should be.  I might be paranoid, but I know my 01' R1 I
> had didn't do this.
>
> Thank you all for any light you can shine my way! :^)
>
> Scott

I seem to recall putting silicone grease on the fittings of the reservoir &
inside the reservoir cap to stop a similar condition. Just enough coolant
was seeping out to muck things up and get one wondering. The blue-green
color of the residue of the dried coolant (happens fast in Arizona) showed
up especially well on the inside of the tail section of my yellow '00 RS.
The silicone grease I used came from an Ace Hdwe, plumbing section me
thinks.

Enjoy,

Dennis