[ST] The whole Enchilada (you meet the nicest people)

Yesterday morning I hooked up with two folks from SRNE and went to
Marcus Dairy. For those that don't know the dairy has been a motorcycle
meeting spot for over 50 years. It was so nice out, I kept going and
dragged my cousin out of bed to go riding. "sleep is for when you're
dead" , sez I, please don't quote me!!

So we go upstate NY do some backroads, end up in Milltown, NY. Chat,
eat, have a smoke, take off to go home. Boring story, huh? Did I mention
my cousin rides a Harley? state of the art FI Roadthing FLHBIGDINEROS.
Anyhow, we're heading back down RT22, and he starts making flapping
motions and pulls over. Turns out his throttle pull cable broke. Luckily
we stopped in front of a farm. Did I mention he doesn't carry tools?,
yet.  Also, luckily HD uses the same length cable with identical cable
ends for both throttle cables (pull and return).

The owners of the place offered us tools and lemonade, while we swapped
out the return cable for the broke one.  The farmer (actually Engineer)
and wife were really nice folks, we ended up spending an hour and change
chatting about their farm (1780's) and various cool other bits of local
lore. Then parted ways, followed my cousin home, I'm going to
permanently fix his throttle cables tonight, 2nd cable in a year. There
are burrs in the housing wearing on the cable.

So I guess you could say, and will say they're unreliable (HD's) but
damn, due to that breakdown we meet some seriously neat people. The
repair would have been done without outside help, but the right tools
makes it much easier.

Moral of the story: no tools or minimum factory toolkit is a weiner
option. Put a real set together and find a place to stash them on your
bike. Make sure you have the important tools, the lack of a Torx bit
!!will!! keep you from a simple repair. Maybe even consider preemptive
repairs like converting from Torx fasteners to allen heads. Carry a pull
throttle cable and a clutch cable for your bike. Also keep a maglite
and/or light sticks in your kit, It will get you home.

Luckily there are plenty of places to mount spare parts and kit bits on
the ST.

Peace,
Andrew