Re: [ST] Harly and rest of the world

original message<<<<<<<<

Ashely Bennet wrote:

>>I definitely know why I ride a Triumph.
>I once had a Harley rider tell me that deep down all bikers really want a
>Harley, he was serious. I think it is that kind of attitude that really
>pisses me off about them.

Ashley,

I've owned TWO Harleys.  1979 XLCH 1000 Sportster (ill handling beast,
almost killed me), and a 1982 FXRS 1340 shovelhead which I owned for 16
years.  I put many "sport touring" miles on the FXRS including two week
trips to the Blue Ridge Parkway, and Southwestern Colorado (funny, both
places the rallyes are being held this year!)  I must say that the FXRS
handling was at least a match for the sportbikes of it's day.  I could "keep
up" in the twisties with GPz's, GS's and the lot.  Although they ran and hid
from me in the straights.  I got out of the "Harley" crowd when it became
apparent the RUB's were taking over.  You see, I was actually a longtime,
knowledgable, "hard-core" Harley dude ;-)  But, because I got a real job, I
looked just like the RUB's. I could not have lotsa tats, longhair, multiple
piercings, missing teeth, ect.....(nor do I want to).....so, I no longer fit
in with the "True Believers", nor could I stand the putrid RUB's and their
inane banter.  So, I sold the Harley, bought a '98 Trophy 1200, then sold it
and bought the (sexy) Black 2000 Sprint-ST.  The rest is
HIStory..............So, SOME bikers don't really want a Harley
(ultimately). Tell'em you have a friend who SOLD a Harley and bought a
TRIUMPH!

Although I do miss the beast.  I sold her to my best friend and do get to
ride her occasionally.  He promises to sell her back to me someday.  When
the RUB's move on to there next distraction I will consider it.  But note,
not all Harley riders are RUB's, or 1%'s, just as not all sport riders are
Squids.

STeve Duncan
Underdawg
2K -ST (Betty)