Re: [ST] clutch spring

david stafford wrote:

>Hello all...... Recently while adjusting my clutch free-play I noticed the
>small extenal spring at the clutch end had broken. This spring hooks onto a
>post on the clutch arm, circles the arm 4 or 5 times and then is bent at 90
>degrees and hooks the clutch cover. This is where it broke, at the bend
over
>the cover. It didn't seem to affect the engagement any and I would not have
>noticed it if I hadn't seen the spring was loose. Hope mine was just a
fluke
>but you may want to check yours.

Mine broke several thousand miles ago (my 99 ST now has about 19,000 miles
on it) - the dealer where I last had the ST serviced has got me a
replacement under warranty but I haven't fitted it yet (the bike is in
Scotland and I'm in the US).  Looking at the marks on the clutch housing, I
think the spring corroded through.  Having no spring seemed to make no
difference to clutch operation.

Neil