[ST] helmets, motolights, fuel consumption, and the GA mtns....

Just got back yesterday from the Georgia Mountain Rally and had a
blast.  Got lots of new toys and some reviews....

HELMETS:   Vendors at the rally had the Airoh (spelling) and Schuberth
Concept modular helmets.  The airoh seemed very cheesy when compared to
the schuberth but that's mostly because I lust for the Schuberth so
hotly.  The Schuberth is FANTASTIC looking, the sunvisor is a fantastic
feature, and overall finish and appearance are first rate.  I would have
gotten one on the spot but they didn't have my size.

NEW TOYS:  A couple days before the rally I had a Kriss Headlight
modulator installed on my '99 Sprint ST.  It's a simple installation but
I tend to bung up anything to do with electrics so I let the local
dealer do it.  This Kriss unit requires a relay to be installed with it
due to a non-standard horn system but it was only $12 at the local
autoparts shop so no biggie.  When turned on during daylight the
modulator switches the lamps from high to low beam back and forth
constantly in order to increase conspicuity and get the attention of
cellphone talking cagers.  It also just looks cool.  :)

Motolights had a vendors table at the rally offering installation, so I
had them throw on a set of brushed aluminum driving lights.   They
mounted on the lower portion of the forks, just below the round
reflectors (had to remove the reflectors) and look absolutely STOCK on
the bike.  I'll get a picture up asap.  These things ROCK!!!!  Fantastic
light output without blinding oncoming cars, and the on/off switch
mounted just perfectly under the edge of the left side fairing about
where the heated grips switch goes.  It's out of the way and
unobtrustive yet right there within reach if you ever need to turn them
off.  They are expensive, just under $350 including installation at the
rally, but not much more than a similar set of PIAA lights would be once
you got all the brackets and everything if installed by a professional.
I am VERY happy with them.

I also just installed a Throttlemeister throttle lock, it looks great
and installation was very simple, but I personally don't think it's
worth the price.   I rode about 800 miles this weekend and only used it
about 3 minutes total.

FUEL CONSUMPTION:  This has been an ongoing thread here lately and got
me to wondering about my bike.  I am a heavy guy, about 235 lbs, and
have a Staintune sport exhaust on the ST along with the sport tune.  Gas
mileage to and from work has averaged in the low to mid 30's but on my
trip I got at and just a tad over 50 mpg on the highway.

GA MTNS:  The rally was held in Hiawassee, GA by a local BMW club and
attended by about 870 people, the largest rally I've ever been to.  Saw
a few Triumphs there, including the orange Sprint RS owned by Happy Dog
who camped across the road from me.  Tons of BMW's as you'd  expect,
Harleys, Moto Guzzi's, a splattering of Ducati's, and even a cool
sidecar rig using a Honda Helix scooter.  The roads were unbelieveable,
the most challening I've ever ridden.  The "pucker factor" was
considerably higher than I am accustomed to and I was happy to slow down
to the speeds my friends on 1970's BMW R90/6's were riding.  Perhaps
they were a little TOO challenging as I heard 3 people had to be
life-flighted out the first day alone, and while driving to the store to
get supplies friday night a guy on a Honda Blackbird tailgaiting me
through the twisties panicked when I braked before entering a tight
left-hander and dumped it off the side of the road, missing me by
literally inches.  Luckilly he had leathers on and walked away from it
without a scratch, but his new bike was thrashed.

Anyway, I arrived home safe but tired, a little wiser about twisties,
and a less trusting of bikers following too closely.  Can't wait for
Asheville, this time I -WILL- ride with the group!  Just stay off my
tail!