[ST] Checking your six

Last Friday, I was driving up to one of the South Carolina state parks, not
far from the Blue Ridge Parkway.  I slowed down to turn right into the road
to the park and was hit by the pickup driving behind me.  It was a Dodge
Ram, appropriately - the impact as he rammed me was tremendous.  Fortunately
I had a seat belt on (not everyone wears them here) and the head rest on my
seat was at the correct height, so I bounced back hard against the head rest
but wasn't hurt.  My poor mountain bike was on the rack at the rear of the
car and now looks like a surrealist's idea of a bicycle - rather like those
Salvador Dali melting watches!

If I'd been on a motorbike, I would have been a flying hood ornament.  Ouch.

I suppose the moral of the story is to look carefully in the mirrors before
slowing down - "checking your six", it's called in the USA - just in case
the driver behind is asleep, on the phone, fiddling with the radio or
whatever.

Neil