[ST] Instrurment Panel Removal?

Ok,

I needed to get in and adjust my headlight aiming on the ole' ST, and the
ever helpful Triumph owners manual starts with the ominous phrase "remove
the cockpit". Well, in the midst of doing that I stupidly removed one of the
screws holding the "idiot lights" in  place (aptly name it would seem), and
now I have come to point where I absolutely have to get the cockpit out to
re-secure the idiot lights, but am having no luck. I have removed the
windscreen screws in front that were holding the cockpit in place, as well
as the two nuts under the cowl which do the same, and while the cockpit is
now quite loose, it won't come out. Any hints from the peanut gallery on
getting this thing out (and I really don't want to hear about total fairing
removal!)? I should have waited till my shop manual showed up, but well you
know how it is sometimes. Any pearls of wisdom out there?

Chris B.
01 ST   (in several pieces)
00 Speed Triple (waiting on new rear tire)