[ST] Racetech, The final Fontier

Well for those that have been waiting for the results of the latest
venture into my wallet to get the front forks the way I want them
here it is. I took the bike up to Blackmans today to get a couple of
things done. Re-balance the front wheel .. it was way off, the dealer
that did it last time must have a bad machine it was off by 20 grams
and the weights were in the wrong location!  Got the steering head
bearings checked, they were a bit loose. My regular dealer didn't
think they needed adjustment at the 12K service.. they were wrong.
The front forks got 1.0 kg springs with 15mm pre load spacers. 15 wt
Ohlins fork oil. Level 125mm. Emulators were kept at 2 turns ( we did
this because we were doing so many other changes that we didn't want
to confise things with another variable if the setup wasn't right)

So how it is now?   WOW.. WOW.. WOW  it is sooooo much better.
Plusher with better control, no standing up, tracks great.. and on
and on. So what made it better????  I think it was both the 15wt and
the stiffer springs. Everyone please be aware that the spring rate
setup info that Racetech uses is wrong. They use 456lbs dry weight
and add 35lbs for fluids and rider gear in calculating what springs
one should use. This is WRONG. The ST does not weight under 500lbs
wet! Never did never will. Every mag that has reviewed the ST has
listed wet weight at about 520lbs. So add me, plus gear, and we have
a total that is about 60-70 lbs heavier than what Racetech uses!  So
if you weight 200 lbs or better 1.0kg springs are a must, lighter
springs will actually make it ride harsher! Also15wt fluid is the
only way to go. I know Martin feels that the 15wt is causing his
front to pack ( to much rebound damping) but I'd have to say that the
problem he's having is being caused by something else.

Erik