Re: [ST] broken exhaust header

 > >Actually it is just a matter of proper "orientation".  If you have the
 > >interference problem, simply loosen the bracket, rotate to the proper
 > >position, then re-tighten.

I met an ST rider up on Skyline yesterday (he's not on the list but now he
knows about it). We got to talking about problems we've both had a I
mentioned the header. He has a '99 purchased in July '99, with no luggage,
the pipe has always been in the original up position. A quick check showed
that his had an even bigger crack than mine, and he didn't even know it,
just like I didn't.

So I would advise everyone to check their header, especially if the
warranty is coming up soon. Those of you who feel a moral obligation to not
use your warranty should proceed to get it welded at your own expense.

My thought on warranties is that:

1. When I was at the Honda dealer looking at the VFR before purchasing the
ST, the salesguy told me that Triumph had had problems with their headers.
I responded they had a two year warranty though. So I intend to use it.

2. By dealing with it through a warranty, Triumph is notified that they
have a serious manufacturing problem and they can analyze and correct it.
If everyone just went off and fixed their headers, Triumph would assume
everything was honky-dorey and 5 years later they would still be making
headers that crack.

Matt Knowles
(still on vacation, doing my pre-rallye test ride)