Re: [ST] broken exhaust header

original message<<<<<

Matt Knowles wrote:

>2. By dealing with it through a warranty, Triumph is notified that they
>have a serious manufacturing problem and they can analyze and correct it.
>If everyone just went off and fixed their headers, Triumph would assume
>everything was honky-dorey and 5 years later they would still be making
>headers that crack.

Matt I agree with you, to a point. Since I was the one who posted the note
on the welding option let me express my viewpoint.

First of all the welding IS being done as a warranty issue.  My shop is
notifying Triumph of the problem.  If the welding process does not
COMPLETELY solve the problem then I will be requesting a new header.  My
point is that I simply do not see how it serves anyone's best interest to
require a complete (and very expensive) new part when a simple spot weld
solves the problem.  I, for one, would like to see Triumph stay in business.
  If everyone that has the slightest problem requires "warranty" replacement
even when a less expensive but equally acceptable resolution is
available....well then....It just seems to me to be a litigious stance.  In
many cases warranty replacement is the right way to go.  I just think this
situation allows a little give and take from both sides.  A win-win,.....
hopefully.

OK, rant off.

As Matt said, though, it does appear that the problem is more than just the
clamp/centerstand issue as it first appeared.  So check your header, near
the muffler clamp for a small crack.  You should hear a small tick-tick-tick
sound if you have a crack, the bigger the hole, the louder the "tick".  It
almost sounds like tappet noise from an old overhead valve engine.

STeve Duncan
Underdawg
2K -ST (Betty)
Dallas, TX