[ST] Charging / GPS issue

Hello All,
  I finally got a GPS for the bike, a GPS III+.  Went to install in on the
bike, but I have a problem with the 12v power supply for the bike.  I used
the auxiliary plug under the tank to wire into.  This plug does not supply a
constant 12V power to the unit though.  According to the volt meter on the
GPS unit, the plug is only supplying 5.5v, up to 6v at idle.  If I rev the
motor, I get 13.4v.  As soon as the RPM's drop back down though the GPS
senses the voltage drop and tries to shut down.  My question in should the
aux plug deliver a constant 12v at idle?  If is should then what is wrong.
My solution will probably to wire a relay into the battery directly and run
the GPS off this.  But I'd like to just use the aux plug.

David "Lost Dawg" Gaske
'00 Sprint RS (yellow)
Fredericksburg, Va.  USA