Re: [ST] Charging / GPS issue

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Gaske David G DLVA"

> I used
> the auxiliary plug under the tank to wire into.  This plug does not supply
> constant 12V power to the unit though.  According to the volt meter on the
> GPS unit, the plug is only supplying 5.5v, up to 6v at idle.  If I rev the
> motor, I get 13.4v.  As soon as the RPM's drop back down though the GPS
> senses the voltage drop and tries to shut down.  My question in should the
> aux plug deliver a constant 12v at idle?  If is should then what is wrong.

The accessory socket is connected directly to the battery through a
connector and two fuses (#3 and #11).  It is live all the time.  You might
want to verify the readings you get with another voltmeter, but it sounds to
me like your battery is shot or there is something wrong with the charging
circuit.  You may also want to check the path to the battery for loose
connections, although it really sounds like more of a battery/charging
problem.  Do your headlights really brighten up when you rev the engine off
idle?  As for using the auxillary socket to power your GPS, I think most
hardwire it to one of the other accessory circuits, leaving the accessory
plug for other stuff such as a heated vest.  I'll leave it for you to decide
if it should be a switched or an unswitched circuit.

Neil