[ST] ECU Memory During Shutoff

I let a friend ride my ST the other day, while I rode his
Honda 600.  After the ride, only about 10 miles, he shut off
the ST using the red emergency switch, then turned off the
key, something I never do.  Riding the ST yesterday for the
first time after that, it felt "different" in some way, as
though the engine were softer or something, although it ran
fine and no engine lights came on.  I don't know how to
describe it, and it is probably in my mind, but it just felt
slightly different in terms of power delivery.

My question is, how does the ECU unit in the  Triumph
actually work? That is, does it "learn" and modify engine
parameters over time like the more modern car units, or is
it totally dumb, in that it always runs the fuel map in its
memory, regardless.  In line with this question, is it poor
practice to use the red emergency switch for shutoff on the
ST (or any similar fuel injection engine), in that it might
cause the ECU to loose its mind, so to speak.  If it does
loose any information, how long does it take to "relearn"
the correct timing and settings off of the baseline values?
I know I have seen some mention of problems with the engine
light coming on after shutting down with the red switch.  Is
this a definite no no, or is it largely irrelevant?

 I don't want to start a thread on the use of the emergency
shutoff itself, I was just curious about its effect on the
Triumph ECU unit, and how the unit actually functions.

BTW, looks like Triumph may get another sale out of all
this.  All he could say about the ride was that he couldn't
get the grin off his face the whole time.  The handling and
power made his Honda feel like a toy. He is starting to look
around now for a used or new ST, although he can't quit
afford it.

Rick Hartwick
2000 ST
South New Berlin NY