Re: [ST] Re: st-digest V2001 #299

 > You'll probably get plenty of opinions on the Throttlemeister, good and no
 > so good.  I have one and like it a lot.  It definitely helps relieve tension
 > during long rides on mostly straight roads; not very useful in the twisty

the downside that many people find is that they find it a little
awkward to use:  locks like vistacruise have a lever that can be
used to engage disengage with the thumb, and some folks find that
preferable.  i believe one of the vistacruise models can be made
to work on the Sprints, but i forget which one.  and there's some
small modification to the switchgear housing, i think.

on many bikes there's a far cheaper alternative to throttlemeister-like
functionality.  on the concours, at least, and on many suzuki models
(the VX800 and SV650, for two), there's a large o-ring sold by the
Caterpillar company that makes a dandy throttle lock.  it sits on
the bar-end weight, and you roll it sideways, up against the end of
the throttle grip, to engage.  roll it the other way to disengage.  the
movement isn't as natural as for either the throttlemeister "roll to
lock" or the vistacruise "thumb-lever to lock", but it's way cheap:
$3.  and it's bright yellow to boot.  :-)  (caterpillar part no. 8M4991)

unfortunately, the RS/ST bar end weights are much larger in diameter
than those on the VX and SV, so that O-ring won't work.  there's also
a groove on the weights that might interfere with the sideways
rolling, so i'm not sure that even a bigger one work -- but it might.

paul