Re: [ST] Converting front light configuration

on 28/5/01 10:27 PM, by way of Message_Redirector@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx at
owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> From: "Barry Evans" <barryevans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: "ST-list" <ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Converting front light configuration
> Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 17:55:24 +1000
>
> My apologies for repetition, as I know this was a recent topic, but I
> entered the ST list too late to follow it properly. If the majority of my
> questions below are answered by a past message, please send it to me and
> accept my apologies for time wasting.
>
> My ST has the (left hand drive) Australia head lamp configuration, i.e.
> left head light for dipped, right head light for main beam. Middle 'eye'
> on for side, dipped and main beam. I can't see the point in this myself
> (why have two headlights and only use one?), IMHO I think it looks daft
> and certainly when *I'm* behind 4 wheels I always seem to notice twin
> headlamp bikes more than single headlamp bikes. So, I'd like to get both
> lights working for dipped and main beam and retain the 'eye'. My dealer
> told me during a very brief conversation on the subject that, although it
> is harder on the 00-01 models, they can alter the configuration. However,
> before asking him to do so, I'd like to ask a few questions:
>
> 1. Why do Triumph (Triumph Australia?) have the lights set this way?
> Twisted aesthetics? Or is there a battery/alternator limitation issue  here?
>
> 2. Is there a significant increase in actual night time road
> illumination/vision when using dipped and/or main beam twin headlights?
>
> 3. Presumably, its not just a case of changing the relay switches? Do both
> bulbs have to be changed to dipped/main beam types? Do one or both
> headlight glasses have to be changed because at the moment it appears that
> the left is 'shaded' (can't think of a better word) for dipped and the
> right for main beam, i.e. even if you put dipped/main beam bulbs in both
> and changed the relay/switching you'd still not have proper dipped/main
> beam without changing the glass?
>
> 4. What does all this cost?
>
> Thanks
>
> Barry
> Australia
> MMI ST BRG 0.5K km

The UK models are the same. I enquired at my dealer and was told that I
would have to fit two additional relays under the right side panel. Said
relays were in stock at about six quid each and fitting took a minute or
two. The spare relay sockets were protected with a splodge of grease.

I didn't notice any difference in the glasses, apparently some legislatures
have taken it into their tiny heads that a two light bike looks like a  car
in the distance. Where that applies the extra relays are left out.

Has anyone else bought their bike from the list sponsors?

Cheers, Dave