RE: [ST] Re: Rallie Routes

David and those coming through the Albuquerque/Santa Fe way to the rally,

I think you would have a much better time running up through Las Vegas to
Taos.  The roads are in good shape, are less crowded and have many more
twisties than the road from Santa Fe through Espanola.  Distance is not the
factor here.  Traffic will likely slow you down going the Santa Fe way as
much as the scenery and curves going the Las Vegas way.

Las Vegas way has two lane roads with combinations of twisties and sweepers
(once north of Las Vegas).  A couple of my favorite roads are hwy 434 from
Mora north to Angel Fire and then hwy 58 from Angel Fire West to Taos.
  Once North and West of Las Vegas, there really aren't any bad roads.
  There are many other options and a variety of roads.

Santa Fe way has more lanes, straighter roads and lots and lots of traffic.
Espanola is usually grid-locked with low-riders.  Hwy 44\550 from Cuba to
Bloomfield (Northwest of Albuquerque) has 76 miles of construction with
HEAVY highway patrol and many 45MPH stretches.

Our Albuquerque group (trio at this point) is planning on running to
Montrose in one day.  It is less than 500 miles.  We will likely take Hwy
285 north into Colorado and hang a left on Hwy 50 to Montrose.  We would
normally take 44/550 but the construction is not pretty on weekdays.  I'm
pretty familiar with most of the roads in Northern New Mexico.  If you have
specific types of roads in mind I would be happy to point the way.

Dan Wallander
'99ST