[ST] Bike covers

Eric,
    My bike with panniers, tall windshield and luggage rack sits out in a
parking lot Spring, Summer and Fall. It is garaged over the Winter. I am
finally at the top of the list for a garage at the apartment after putting
my name on the list in July of '99. The first year I had a black large Dowco
Guardian and it sucked. It was heavy, fit poorly (very loose, I put a
beachball on the seat to prevent water pooling), leaked, and once wet
underneath, it didn't dry out very well. It was also expensive at $65. I
then got a blue large Nelson-Riggs for $45. It was lightweight nylon tent
cloth, was more water resistant than the heavier Dowco and fit like a glove.
No pooling and it breathed and packed well. It got UV damaged and ripped
this Spring right after I had purchased a red extra-large (large is WAY too
small) Dowco Legend for $45. It is looser than the N-R, but doesn't droop so
much as to hold water. It fits fairly well. It droops when wet somewhat. It
leaks just a little but dries underneath quickly. Nothing important gets
wet. The hooks and elastic straps are *!?(@)*%. I buy 1/4" shock cord and
use the N-R s-hooks.
    If you want a snug fit, water resistance, breathability, packability and
low price, the Nelson Riggs is best, followed by the Dowco Legend. The Dowco
Guardian was crap. Note the equipment I have. If you have the stock
windshield and don't intend to put on the panniers, good luck. If you only
want to cover your bike in a sheltered (read "out of the rain") place, any
cover will keep the dust off.
Regards,
Bob

- ------ http://USFamily.Net/info - Unlimited Internet - From $8.99/mo! ------