Re: [ST] And Dealers wonder why they are losing business to mail

I strongly agree with Charlie. Support your local bike shop.

My Dad has been a motorcycle salesman since before I was born, he currently
works at On Yer Triumph, some listers may even know him, Doug Mumford?
Therefore, I may have a different perspective than other listers.

On the tire argument, when buying mail order, there usually are significant
shipping and handling charges, and you're buying a pig in a poke. Not to
mention paying mounting and balancing costs over and above the norm. I think
if you total up all the costs, you're not gonna save as much as you think
versus buying from your local dealer. By the way, what business of yours is
it what the owner of the bike shop drives? (I don't get that idea at all?)

 I would rather eyeball my tires, and since I live down the road from
Chaparral, I can get tires cheap and in person.
However, I find that patronizing 2 other local dealerships (Malcolm Smith
Motorsports, Kawasaki of Riverside) for a lot of other motorcycle related
items (chains, sprockets, filters, gloves, bags, mirrors, accessories,
chemicals, etc.) is by far the best way to go.

The guys are glad to see me when I go there, they give me great service,
over and above the call of duty (mount and balance a tire for $10, (even
though I didn't buy the tire there), free valve shims, for example).
When I walk in the door at either of these places, they are glad to see me.
I know the guys that work there, (they don't say oh shit here comes that
penny pinching bastard), I like them, and I can hang out and talk bikes with
them if I feel like it.

When you go for the cheapest shit, you're gonna deal with someone that
worked at Burger King last week, you're gonna have to live with the cheap
crap you buy, and you will be regarded as a cheapskate asshole by your local
bike shop.

Patronize your local bike shops that you feel deserve your business, it's a
good relationship to have.

My 2 cents
Stuart Mumford
99 Sprint ST