Re: [ST] And Dealers wonder why they are losing business to mail

Stuart,

> My Dad has been a motorcycle salesman since before I was born, he currently
> works at On Yer Triumph, some listers may even know him, Doug Mumford?
> Therefore, I may have a different perspective than other listers.

I will definately support a local shop, when they decide to give service
like above.  When I bought my bike I wanted such a relationship. I gave
them almost a month to be able to give me a time when I could drop my
bike of for the 12k and then pick it up in 2 or 3 days. They [c|w]ould
not do it, so I went somewhere else.

If a shop is not going to show me some loyalty, then why should I show
them some??

I just want fair prices, decent service (that is, given a couple weeks
notice they could acutally do scheduled maintaince in a timely manour).
And for simple things such as tire changes, yes it would be cool to get
it done with in an hour or 2.

When I get that, I will be a happy camper. Until then, it means I have
to spend more time working on my bike, (or less time having it in my
garage) thus I am going to save $$$ where I can.

> On the tire argument, when buying mail order, there usually are significant
> shipping and handling charges, and you're buying a pig in a poke. Not to
> mention paying mounting and balancing costs over and above the norm. I think
> if you total up all the costs, you're not gonna save as much as you think
> versus buying from your local dealer. By the way, what business of yours is
> it what the owner of the bike shop drives? (I don't get that idea at all?)

BS, I have yet to go to a MC shop and get a discount on mounting because I
bought their over priced tire. As far as quality arguments, absolutely
not a chance of a tire manufacture or a mail order place shipping a defective tire
unless it was clearly marked with you probably signing a waiver. I they did and
it failed causing an injury the companies would be clearly liable.

>  I would rather eyeball my tires, and since I live down the road from
> Chaparral, I can get tires cheap and in person.
> However, I find that patronizing 2 other local dealerships (Malcolm Smith
> Motorsports, Kawasaki of Riverside) for a lot of other motorcycle related
> items (chains, sprockets, filters, gloves, bags, mirrors, accessories,
> chemicals, etc.) is by far the best way to go.
>
> The guys are glad to see me when I go there, they give me great service,
> over and above the call of duty (mount and balance a tire for $10, (even
> though I didn't buy the tire there), free valve shims, for example).
> When I walk in the door at either of these places, they are glad to see me.
> I know the guys that work there, (they don't say oh shit here comes that
> penny pinching bastard), I like them, and I can hang out and talk bikes with
> them if I feel like it.
>
> When you go for the cheapest shit, you're gonna deal with someone that
> worked at Burger King last week, you're gonna have to live with the cheap
> crap you buy, and you will be regarded as a cheapskate asshole by your local
> bike shop.

> Patronize your local bike shops that you feel deserve your business, it's a
> good relationship to have.

Not everyone has the luxury of such dealerships in their area.

 Thomas Emberson
 '01 BRG Sprint ST (last count 7 months old, 13,700 miles)
 sold: '98 ZX6e, '99 ZX9r, '95 EX500

End of st-digest V2001 #666