[ST] Idle problem after refuelling and short journey

Hi

I have just bought a 99 ST with 2000 miles on the clock, its never been
serviced.
After refuelling and a 10 mile trip, I stopped the engine and when I
returned after 5 mins the bike would not idle.
The bike had been on the side stand for those 5 mins, I kept the bike
running and set off for a 20 mile journey.
During the journey it still would not idle, I switched off the bike and then
re-started it and then it idled fine.
I'm not sure if the problem is linked with the full fuel tank and leaving it
on the side stand or just the short journey, although it had warmed up ok.
I also noticed that the fuel consumption for that part of the journey was
very bad, as if the engine management was applying choke all the time.
Any ideas would be greatfully appreciated.

thanks

Alliston Hyde