Re: [ST] Fuel Stabilizer - OK for the Sprint?

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Reyes"

>  Thanks for the information on the difference between RON and Octane
> numbers. The web site is helpful in showing me the difference. I did not
> know that they were not the same (ignorance is bliss) not. If 92 Octane
> = 96 RON than 92 Octane is just about right since the manual calls for
> 95 RON.

the manual calls for 89

> I do feel a difference in power though with a 3 point raise in
> my Octane.

I think it's in your head

> Neil,
> If the level of Octane did not matter why do racing applications use
> higher Octane

I didn't say higher octane was useless, just that it won't get you better
mileage -- besides racing engines are set up a tad different than on street
bikes

> plus I would never put in alcohol to stabilize my fuel. I
> would rather buy a product for that purpose so I don't screw things up.

the principle ingredient in most commercial fuel stabilizers is isopropyl
alcohol -- read the label

here's another link to good info on the different grades of gasoline, etc.
http://theserviceadvisor.com/octane.htm

> Ben Snyder wrote:
> >

> > Anyway, long story short, usually the highest octane
> > at the pump meets Triumph's requirements

and so does 'mid-grade' at 89 octane -- anything more is a waste of money,
but if it makes you feel good ......

Neil