[ST] Re: Warming up an engine

> Must say Rick, I'm confused by the double negative of the first
para, and
> the subsequent explanation/contradiction.

Sorry for the poor grammar & structure, Keith but I only took
English-as-a-second-language for six years.

> So you ARE advocating a warm-up, right?  ~:)

I am opposed to what you've identified as a "static"
warm-up---letting the engine idle until it is up to operating
temperature.

> I don't do a static warm-up (other than letting the revs die to
1,200), but
> keep it lightly loaded and under 3,500 for the first 3 miles.

I advocate allowing the engine to run just long enough for good
oil circulation and then gently riding away without stressing the
engine.  Isn't that pretty much what you've described?   So, why
are we doing this???

> I am convinced this gives me longer engine life (and also gives
me time to get > the feel of the bike again).

No disagreement here, either.

In Andy's routine below, I might hold off starting the engine
until step 4.

> I go through the following routine when starting up the RS:
>
> 1. Open garage and unchain RS
> 2. Wheel RS out of garage and start it, whilst parking on side
stand
> 3. Put on earplugs, helmet, gloves
> 4. Quick visual check of RS (tyres, chain etc.)
> 5. Close and lock garage
> 6. Sit on bike (coolant temp now about 60-70 degrees C)
> 7. Engage first gear and ride away :-))
>
> I  usually ride fairly easily for the first 10 minutes or so
just to really
> let the engine (oil) get warmed up and get some heat in the
tyres.  After
> that it's no holes barred...oh yes!
>
> Andy
> Andy Cunningham
> Stockholm, Sweden
> 955i Sprint RS (01)

> Rick from Oregon has spoken the truth. Some bikes need proper
warm such
> as FZR600 which refuses to fire smoothly before it is properly
warm. New
> advances mean those days are gone but not the fashion for
standing
> beside your Ducati warming the engine deafening the neighbours
> (sidestand interlock).
> It is snowing here in Aberdeen. In November!! Last weekend it
was 15c
> (60f ish)!! What is happening?
>
> David

It sounds like a wee bit of winter has come your way.  Here in
the Pacific Northwest, we haven't had a proper winter for several
years.  This may be the year.  Time to throw a bit more peat on
the fire & get out the single-malt.

Stay warm,
Rick in Oregon
'01 Sprint ST
"NO Dawg"

"Blueish?  That's funny.  You don't look Blueish."
- - - The Beatles