Re: [ST] Idle problem after refuelling and short journey

> From: Britbike2@xxxxxxx
>
> With this in mind, my dealer
> explained to me that the Sprint has 11 different sensors in/on the engine,
> and the start button must be held down for at least 6 revolutions before
you
> let go so that each sensor can sense what ever it is sensing (he couldn't,
or
> didn't explain what they all were) before the engine is ready to run on
its
> own.

This explanation probably has some basis in fact, but it doesn't account for
the times that the poor idling symptom rears its ugly head when the starter
is used 'normally'.  I don't think I'm the only one who can say that they've
seen the symptom  when the starter was only hit once to start the engine.
Besides, if you don't hold the starter button on for more than about 6
engine revolutions, the engine usually doesn't start.  Personally I can't
understand why it would matter if the engine turns those six required
revolutions as a result of one stab at the starter button or two.  The
sensors would still get their chance to report whatever.

> Since it is getting colder and I have been wearing thicker gloves, I have
> begun to press the button to start, slipped a little and repressed it.
The
> bike always starts this way, but with differing results.  Sometimes it is
> bad idle, sometimes the power from 1500rpm to 4500rpm sucks, and only
comes
> on above that, other times there is surging involved.  The remedy, 100% of
> the time, is to pull over, shut the key off, count to three and start the
> bike as my dealer described.  Suddenly, it is a new bike.

I'm going to pay closer attention to this in the future.  I'd like to
believe that the 'cure' for other "UFO's" like you describe was as simple as
this, but I dunno .....

Neil

End of st-digest V2001 #678