Re: [ST] Digital Gear Indicator

Actually is was to my ST, but hopefully all wiring will be the same,
original text below, quite long.

These are my experiences on fitting the Digi Gear Position Indicator.  I
could only find one suitable location for the Digi and that is seated on top
of the instrument binnacle below the screen.  I have not noticed any
turbulence problems and have taken the Digi up to 120mph without it budging
at all.  Fixing was simple using the dual lock provided, which is very
similar to super strong velcro.

Performance:  This little device does what it says, and does show you your
gear position.  I have found that sometimes it is slow to register the
change and it can get confused when you blip the throttle on down changes
but it sorts itself out.  My only fault is that at the moment is that when
pulling away, it is slow in registering the first two gears and often not
managing to indicate anything until third under hard acceleration but that
doesn't really matter as my requirement is to know what gear I am in when I
am cruising, slowing down to approach a village or pulling faster onto an
open road and in a more switched off mindset.  When I'm going for it, I am
fully aware of what ratio I'm in, especially as to the first to gears.
Datatool have told me that I should have another go at re-calibrating the
gears as it should pick up the first two gears fairly instantly.  When you
start it will show you are in neutral, but as it needs to calculate speed
and revs it does not know which gear you are in as you pull away, so will
show a moving circle indicating that it is calculating until it registers
first.

Datatool state that you should locate it in a angled downwards position, but
I can't see how you can do this on a bike unless you have ape bars.  I have
been out in very strong sunlight with it inclined upwards and with the sun
on it and I have no difficulty reading the indicator.  At night time the
Digi dims to exactly the right level by means of it's daylight sensor.

The cost of the Digi was £ 61.35 delivered internally in the UK.  You can
see and order the digi at http://www.datatool.co.uk/digi.html

Installation Instructions:

Description                       Digi Wire        Sprint ST Wire

Earth                                Black              Black
Switched 12 Volt+           Red                Green / Red
Neutral Light Feed           Blue                Black / White
Tachometer Pulse            Yellow             Pink
Speedometer Pulse          Green              White / Blue
Learn / Set Up                 Orange            Touch to an Earth

The installation took me one and half days of trial and error.  Due to
Triumph or Datatool getting their wiring colours mixed up and trying to get
a good contact with the very tiny wires that the Digi has compared to the
STs larger core.  If I were to do the job again, I would go out and buy me
five small electrical plastic screw connectors and cut clean through each
bike wire.  Do not use, Scotchlocks or Crimping Connectors.  I would
estimate the entire job should take no longer than an hour and a half if you
are being careful and taking your time.

Place a cloth or protective mat over the front mudguard.  It is necessary to
remove the top fairing by undoing the 4 stainless allen bolts on the panel
on each side and the two stainless allen bolts underneath the headlight.
The two top radiator cowl black bolts and the two bolts which secure each of
the mirrors under their rubber sleeve, place these items to one side.  Next
remove the two black allen bolts on the inside of the each of windscreen
flukes and the forward plastic windscreen screw on each side.  Very
carefully lift the front cowl away taking extreme care not to scratch the
body panels with the now revealed bolt clips.  Pull apart the two position
light
connectors and each of the indicator connectors.  Place the top fairing in a
safe place.  Using a Phillips screwdriver unscrew the three screws which
secure the small plastic instrument shield which is under the screen and in
front of the instrument panel.

With the exception of the speedometer pulse, all the connectable wires can
be connected to the upper side of the large
main block which travels down through the lower yoke.  I found it easier to
split this block if I used the screw from the in situ lighting bracket to
push
into the release for the connector and then pull the black part of the
connector out from below.  This then enables you to pull the top half of the
connector
out and away from the bike and have full access to the necessary wires.

Carefully slice back a few inches of the insulating tape that looms the
wires together in order to have sufficient access to work on each cable.
Once you have severed each of the four wires and reconnected them with your
electrical connectors inserting the Digi
wires you can put the block back together again.  Strip a half inch off the
end of the orange wire and place insulating tape over the exposed wire and
let it dangle.