Re: [ST] Idle problem after refuelling and short journey

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Al Garvin"

> I am wondering if there is any difference in
> shutting the bike down with the key vs the kill switch as far as the ECM
is
> concerned.

absolutely! -- the kill switch is for emergency use only. If you use it to
routinely shut down the bike the ECU does not receive the benefit of a final
update from various sensors.  Listen carefully next time you power off the
bike with the key.  Several seconds go by before you finally a relay click.
This is apparently when the ECU is actually shutting down (having completed
that final sensor update).  If you use the kill switch first, apparently
this doesn't happen.  But this misuse of the kill switch is still not the
cause of the symptom what was being reported when this thread started.  If
you misuse the killswitch all that really happens is that you'll force the
ECU to go through a bit of a learning curve to get things right the next
time you use your bike.  It sorts itself out automatically over some period
of time (not sure how long but it probably depends on how long it is till
the ECU samples most riding conditions).

> I wonder if this problem leaves a malfunction code in the ECM.

nope, I don't think a code will be stored for misusing the killswitch, and
I'm positive that one won't be logged in reference to the 'no idle' symptom
either

> Has anyone taken their bike in to the dealer had had them look at it with
> their Tuneboy diagnostic tool?

I think that's the first place most dealerships would look -- certainly was
when I reported the problem anyway

Neil

End of st-digest V2001 #681