[ST] Inexpensive Clutch Cable Repair

Hello all.

I mentioned some time ago that I was one of the lucky broken clutch cable
winners.  The dealer was stand up and gave me a new one.  Fine, but what if
this happens again?

For a whopping $1.38 at the local NAPA parts store I picked up, not one, but
two "wire stops", or sometimes known as throttle stops.  This is just a
little brass barrel the same size as the ferrule on the end of the clutch
cable attached to the lever with a screw running down the inside and a hole
for the cable to pass through the side of the barrel.  If you drop by your
local bicycle shop, for another whopping $2, you can get a nice stainless
steel braided brake cable for a bicycle.  Snip the barrel end off, slip it
through the clutch cable housing, attach the wire stop, trim off extra cable
and you have a working clutch cable again.

Pack the wire stop and brake cable under the seat, they take up less room
than a replacement cable, or make a new replacement cable for virtually free
before hand and put it under your seat.

One note, the center hole for the cable has to be drilled out larger to
accommodate the cable diameter, which is easy on the drill press, or if you
have a vise and hand drill.

I have been using these for years making clutch and brake cables, as well as
the intended throttle cables for older motorcycles where replacements are
either nonexistent or ridiculously expensive.

Any questions, drop me a line.

Sean
'01 Sprint ST BRG
'98 XR400 w/ lights