Re: [ST] Dead Trumpet

On Tue, 13 Nov 2001 16:07:26 -0800, owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx (by way of
Message_Redirector@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

>Paul Reyes has been helping off line, and I'd like to see if any one else
>can help me trouble shoot.
>
>Here's the problem ---essentially the bike just died after 2 weeks of
>straight riding on a cross country trip.  Pulled over to look at a map,
>shut it off and it wouldn't start back up.

All the lights come on right? This may sound strange, but what happens
when you hit the horn?

My Sprint somehow acquired a short in the left switch housing that
killed the lights when you hit the horn and prevented the clutch
switch from closing. If the clutch switch doesn't close, the starter
motor won't crank. Replacing the switch housing fixed the problem.

Along the same lines, you might want to check the clutch switch. I had
one that only closed the circuit if it the lever was partially pulled
back. Pulling it back all the way would open the circuit again.