Re: [ST] Dead Trumpet

On Tue, 13 Nov 2001 17:17:27 -0800, owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx (by way of
Message_Redirector@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

>Just had my left switch assembly replaced last week - same issue.  Horn
>would work intermittently, and when it failed, it would kill the lights
>while the switch was depressed... also, the bike wouldn't turn over unless
>the forks were turned to the right, past center.  Crazy stuff.
>
>Replacing the lefthand switch assembly fixed both problems.

Looking at the wiring digram it makes a crazy kind of sense. The horn
and the lights are both controlled by relays. If the horn control
signal is shorted to the flash-to-pass control signal, pressing the
horn button will cut the voltage to the pull-down relay that cuts the
lights out when you press the starter button. Shorting that lighting
circuit also shorts the circuit that energizes the starter solenoid,
which will keep the bike from turning over.

Here is a tip for anyone suffering from that problem: When my switch
housing shorted, I was able to start the bike by peeling the rubber
boot on the clutch switch back far enough to expose the terminals.
Then I simply shorted one of them to the handlebar using a
screwdriver. You know you have the right one if you get a little spark
- - on mine it was the one closest to the handlebar (which was
convenient). Highly irritating as a regular thing, but it will get you
home without calling a tow truck, a savings of as much as $300.00.