Re: [ST] Warranties, Parts & Customer Service

In your message regarding Re: [ST] Warranties,  Parts & Customer Service dated
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 10:07:40 -0800, Rick Damiani said that ...

>RD-  On Thu, 15 Nov 2001 13:55:05 -0800, BikerDadHLV@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>RD-  (BikerDad) wrote:
>
> >I've not been following the digest very closely, but this is in
> >response to the chain concerns of Mike Bostock.  Understand, the laws
> >regarding warranties in the UK may be different than they are here.
>RD-
>RD-  They are very different. In the UK they do not have the Magnison-Moss
>RD-  Consumer Protection act or anything like it, so manufacturers can void
>RD-  a claim if you don't use their own replacement parts or parts that
>RD-  they have pre-approved. Some places (such as Germany) it is actually a
>RD-  violation of the law to install certain non-standard parts that have
>RD-  not been approved for use on that make and model of vehicle. The US is
>RD-  unique, or quite nearly so, in it's providing strong protection for
>RD-  consumer's warranted products.

Thank for this, as you quite rightly say laws are different in the US and UK
and I *believe* the burden of proof would rest with me not the manufacturer.

However, all this said, the 'non-approved part argument' is an additional lever
to get the dealer to rectify something that has IMHO never been right since I
purchased the bike, namely the chain/sprockets.

They have written a letter saying that they will not contemplate replacement.
However, I have since spoken to another one of the management team and
explained that I am not after a 'freebie' DID X-ring chain and new sprockets, I
am just concerned that the current situation is unsatisfactory, I do not
believe that a brand new chain of any description should show tight spots with
a variation of >25mm, and all I really want is for someone with half a brain to
look at it with me and *listen* to me.  Fortunately, this particular member of
their team seems to have that half of the brain.

As to my contact with Triumph, I disagree with those who say I should try again
- - why should I, I am the customer, I am the one parting with my money.  I know
that if a potential new patient telephones my practice
and gets a stroppy cow on the phone they will look for another practice,
period, however good the product that I am offering.  Likewise, I am looking
for another manufacturer - I may not change this week or this year but I am
looking - whereas before I would not have considered it.  If you are in
business the first contact *is* the most important - Triumph need to grasp this.

- --
Mike Bostock
http://www.toothfairy.co.uk/
Wales & SW ST Riders