[ST] Motorcyclist, ST comparo

Just got the Jan. 2002 issue (why do they do that anyway, it's freakin'
Nov.) ANYWAY, there's a comparo of the Duc ST4s, Aprilla Futura, and our
beloved Sprint-ST.  Big surprise, Sprint 3rd, Futura 2nd, ST4s 1st. I guess
that they could not get their hands on a new VFR800, or a 2002 spec Sprint
with the extra HP. Actually they started with four bikes, but dismissed the
BMW K1200RS as being, well, just too darn big.  They may as well dismissed
our ST as well as it came down to a "pick'em" between the ST4s and Futura.
Seems our 3 yr. old ST just doesn't cut it anymore (don't tell mine, she
still outruns 95% of all comers, he-he).

No surprise really, the ST4s has better handling, more power, same with the
Futura. Things sure change fast in moto-land.  You buy the "bike of the
year" in 2000, it's not even paid off yet and it's become an "also-ran"  :-)
   Of course I'm kidding, but the moto-journalists seem to think that way
(yeah, yeah, I know it's there job).  I guess Triumph better get crackin'
with some suspension and cosmetic upgrades to keep the fickle hordes happy.
Me?  I plan on keeping my beautiful, black ST for several more years. I
think I'll take the $4000.00 difference between the Sprint-ST and the Duc
ST4s, and do my own "upgrades", works for me and everyone's happy.

By the way, there is one picture in the article of the Futura from behind. I
know they use weird "fish-eye" lenses and all, but, my gawd!  That is one
really FUGLY rear end, with the anal exhaust and bat-wing hardbags.  NO
THANKS!  Gimme my little ST till oh, maybe 2005, I should have about 100,000
miles by then.  Marc Cook, I will give you the "long-term" report, of course
by then no one will care anyway, right?  :-]

STeve Duncan
'00 Sprint-ST, Black as Nite
Dallas, Tx

"I refuse to tip-toe thru life, only to arrive safely, at death"