[ST] Cornering

Hello all,

Quick question:
As I have been getting more and more brave in the cornering department, I
have begun to have front end sliding problems.  I go into a turn all smooth
and happy, some times scraping the pegs, othertimes not (I do pick good
lines, I know that much), but when cornering hard the front wheel slips a few
inches, I ease off to get grip, get back into to turning, and it happens
again.  Repeat this at fast intervals throughout a turn and you get the
picture.

My question is:
1) is this a tire (I have stock tires on) issue?
2) is this a suspension issue (I haven't modified mine)?
3) is this a body position / technique issue (I don't know anything about
proper technique and am intending to buy Twist of the Wrist books).
4) a combo of the above, or
5) am I just an idiot?

Thanks for your help.
Sean