Re: [ST] New member to the list and question about the gearbox.

Previously, you (Tommy.Johansson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> I have a question about the gearbox (is it called that? My English is a bit
> rusty when it comes to motorcycles ...)

Gearbox, transmission or tranny (for short) are all generally understood
terms.  There are others too.

> As I said, the motorcycle is a -01, has run about 2500km. I feel that the
> gearbox is a bit hard. Sometimes, especially when the motor is cold, it is
> very difficult to shift gear. Have anybody else experienced this?

Normal for a newer Triumph engine.  This is especially true if you have
the habit of short shifting (shifting up into a higher gear at low RPM).

The break in schedule is effective at conditioning riders to short
shift.  If you do this you must get out of that habit.

I also had a hard shifting transmission, especially when cold,
especially shifting out of 1st gear.  In 5 days of commuting to the
office I was able to eliminate the problem completely.

I accomplished this by NEVER shifting out of 1st gear until I was over
7000 RPM.  That is all it took.  Of course it meant that much of my 5Km
(3 mile) commute was in 1st gear, but it was worth it!

Try it yourself and see.

- --
Bill "Bench Dawg" Flowers
Clearwater FL