RE: [ST] Cornering

A front-slide mid-corner will dump you on your head almost every time it
happens, though - to catch it you have to be on the gas the instant it
starts to go, and you will probably already be too late and eating road or
track. Rear slides are much friendlier, /if/ you deal with them right. If
you absolutely, positively, don't chop the throttle when the back breaks
away whatever happens then the worst that will happen is that you lowside.
If you gently back off the throttle slightly to hold the slide then the bike
will continue round the corner leaving a thick black line on the tarmac, and
impressing all and sundry. CSS will teach you how to do this on every
corner when you get to level 4...

It goes without saying, though, that I don't think sliding front or rear is
very smart at all on the road. With either end sliding in a corner, even if
you don't crash you are demonstrably right on the edge of the bike's
performance envelope, which means if anything else goes wrong, like e.g. a
slight patina of sand on the corner, you're almost guaranteed to crash.
Sliding tyres at either end strikes me as an acceptance that a crash is
undoubtedly imminent...

> You know I have never thought of it that way.  Lemme tell you, I would
> do just about anything to NEVER highside again.  I had always considered
> the rear wheel slide to be pretty safe, hell watching SBK and GP, they
> slide both wheels, but I always thought it would be pretty cool to spin
> it up driving out, or back it in on the brakes. While it looks cool,
> they definitely risk highsides a lot during races.  I would much prefer
> a lowside next time, so maybe I'll have to temper those spin it up/back
> it in fantasies.
>
> Andrew
> 00 Daytona
> http://ultrasupercool.com

- - --

Ken Haylock - Sprint ST + TT600 - MAG Life Member #93160

                               _    _
                    .oooO     / )  ( \     Oooo.
                      \_)   .oooO  Oooo.   (_/