[ST] A visit from the Sheriff (part 2 of 2)

Sorry to leave y'all hangin' like that, but I had people waiting for me
to finish readying a new software release.

So where were we? Oh, right ...

"Good, I've been looking for you" he says.  YIKES!

The officer introduces himself and gets my name (he didn't know it ...
hmmm) and I invite him to sit.  My mind is racing trying to think of
what possible reason he would have for being here.

"I've seen your bike parked out front a lot last year but I haven't seen
it much recently" he says.

It is at about this point that he realizes I'm wound tight as a spring.
He grinned and told me that he was just here to chat about my bike if I
have the time.  He used to patrol this area and remembered that almost
every day last year he'd pass by and see the most beautiful bike he's
ever seen.

I'm sure my sigh of relief was audible down the hall!

Then goes on to tell me about the Trophy he used to ride and how nice it
was, but big and heavy.  Then how he traded it for a big Vulcan cruiser.
And how the cruiser is now sitting in a showroom for consignment becuase
he decided he really wants a sport-touring bike ... just like an ST.

We talked about ST's and RS's (and how he prefers the ST, disliking the
unfinished RS dash and riding position).  We spoke about the mods I'd
made (Genmar risers, air horns and such) and how much I love this bike.
How everytime I throw a leg over it I grin.

I told the officer about Eric's site and this list, and how these are
the very best sources of information on these wonderful bikes.  And I
spoke of the wonderful, friendly group of international people
represented on this list. Maybe he will be joining us here.  Maybe he
already has!

And somehow 45 minutes went by while everyone else in the building went
home.  The conversation wound down and I gave him my home phone number
and invited him to stay in touch.  And maybe even to ride together
someday.

As I drove home in my pickup I thought back to his comment about not
seeing my bike much this year.  It is true, I haven't ridden as much as
I used to.  Or as much as I wanted to.  In fact I've only done 3000
miles this year.  Nothing I'm proud of.

Sure, part of the time I couldn't ride having my arm in a cast.  And
work cut into my riding more than it should.  But the rest of the time
it just seemed more convenient to hop in the pickup "just in case it
rained" or to use the air conditioning to escape the heat and humidity.

This morning was wonderfully cool and no rain forecast.  So I pulled the
dust cover off my ST and rolled it out of the garage.  She cranked a
little slower and longer than usual, complaining that I hadn't ridden
her lately but finally caught.  It was a great day to ride to work! :-)

I wonder if that officer will come by to look for my bike today?

- --
Bill "Bench Dawg" Flowers
Clearwater FL
'00 Sapphire Blue ST "Jewel"