[ST] RE: (ST) First gear "surging" on RS

I've just had my '99 ST cured of its surging problems.
The symptoms were pronounced surging at small throttle openings, more pronounced
when the motor wasn't fully warmed up.

This was going on for a while but because the shop was busy (the Triumph
mechanic broke his leg motocrossing) we decided to wait for the 12K service and
sort it then. Well after the service where all the sensor settings and CO level
were carefully checked the problem was was still evident :(

So, while I was away on Honeymoon I left the ST with the importer for a month.
They found the centrifugal breather (?) was worn and allowing oil into the
airbox.
This was apparently confusing the FI system causing my running problems. This
part has been redesigned (machined metal instead of cast plastic) so a new type
was fitted and my ST is now sorted.

I had hoped that this would be covered under warranty as the problem manifested
itself before the warranty expired and this is a known potential cause of
problems on the earlier 955 motors. However somehow my bike is down as a write
off on Triumphs database so there'll be no claims approved there then. Cost of
replacement parts and labour was £160.

Anyway, if your Sprint is surging, check for oil in the airbox.

Martin (Howlin' Dawg) Fay
Ireland,

'01 Aprilia Futura (not for much longer)
'99 Triumph Sprint ST
'95 Moto Guzzi 1100 sport

The information transmitted in this email is intended for the
addressee only and may contain confidential and/or privileged
material. Any review, retransmission,dissemination,reliance
upon or other use of, this information by persons or entities
other than the addressee is prohibited.If you received this
in error, please contact the sender and delete the material.

This message has been swept by Anti-Virus software