Re: [ST] Heated grips

On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 10:24:44PM -0500, Eric Mann wrote:
> To those that have installed their own heated grips, how difficult was it?
> Any special tools needed?  Or is it just as easy to let the dealership
> install them?

I just installed mine on Monday and it was very easy.  The biggest
problem I had was putting the switch assemblies back on the clip-ons.
It seems like the diameter of the tube is slightly wider where the grip
goes on, and slightly less up high where the assemblies go.  Maybe it's
in my head as it sounds overly simple now, but I wasted a good hour
trying to get the right side assembly back on.

The wiring was simple.  Just a few connectors, then zip-tie the new
sub-harness in place.

Cutting the hole for the switch in the side fairing was a little scary.
I used a dremel-wannabe tool (from harborfreight) that I have with a
drill bit in it.  I drilled holes in the four corners of the template
and was then going to use a saw to cut the edges, but with a little
experimenting found that the drill bit at 20,000rpm was able to cut the
plastic easily and cleanly, kind of like a router.  I made sure to cut
it a little smaller than necessary, then tried to fit the switch and
enlarged the opening as needed.

That's the only area I used a special tool for, but I'm sure you could
do it with just a regular drill and some sort of saw.

The grips are a little larger than stock, but not a big deal for me so
far, and I did a 600 mile trip on Wednesday.

They work very well and heat up *quick*.  I was surprised by how little
time it took.  The difference they make is huge.  I think they should
come stock on the bike, as just about anyone can benefit from them.

Laters,
Brian
- --
'99 ST (black)