Re: [ST] Re: STeve's goof & anthrax

At 01:00 PM 10/17/01 +0000, you wrote:
 >p.s.  lots of "tarantulas" in arkansas, ya' know :]

STeve,

Very sorry to hear of your goof-up. I know it makes you feel stupid but
forget about that and just be glad you weren't going any faster!
Right?  Hey man, you ride a lot of miles and generally 'get after it pretty
good' ( I believe everyone will understand my slangey phrase). I hope your
collarbone heals quickly b/c you're missing some perfect riding weather,
but I'm sure you are acutely aware of that!  Get you and your sweet triple
fixed so we can get together & you can share a few of your well known
advanced riding techniques with me.

Is that road you spoke of really better than Dragon and other highlight
roads in NC? If so I'm going to plan a ride that way sometime.

Forgive my late nite stupidity but what WTF are you talking about
tarantulas in AR?

TOTALLY OFF SUBJECT but current & pertinent topic:
Some of you may know my line of work: Personal Protective Equipment (PPE, a
term that also applies to stuff we wear while riding) of the
disposable/limited use variety generally coveralls used by industry but
lately for cleanups & bio-hazard protection, etc. My company sent a lot of
coveralls to NYC and some to DC. In the last few days in response to the
anthrax panic we have had a flood of calls & interest from individuals
seeking these suits for their own personal protection. They are seeking an
unattainable goal as it's not like they can go around in a totally
encapsulating suit with supplied air 24/7. These ' fully encapsulated'
suits you see the CDC wearing or on the Xfiles would be more likely to end
the life of the untrained professional than the bugs would. They require
either scba tanks worn on the users back inside the suit or an external
supplied air source (line) to hook into. Not exactly practical for home
use. As far as suits that aren't totally encapsulating with supplied air
theoretically one could wear a full face respirator, a coverall with
attached hood & boots plus gloves which would have to be taped to suit
along with hood to respirator and be protected from anthrax spores. But
think about it: if someone thinks
' Well I'll take this respirator and suit and gloves around with me
everywhere until need it then I'll jump in it', that just wont work b/c
once they realized they needed to don it it'd be too late - they'd almost
certainly already exposed to whatever. I mean we are getting A LOT of calls
from scared people grasping for something to give them a little piece of
mind or to feel like they are preparing as best they could but   Don't fret
about chemical or bio exposure. Think about that event happening to you
like someone pulling out in front of you when you're doing everything right
and there is nothing you could have done to avoid it except you are much
more likely for this to happen than be biowhacked. ie if it's going to
happen there's not a freaking thing you can do about it. Of course someone
is 5000000x more likely to run a red light on you than you are to get
expose to something.

Beware of companies putting together Anthrax/BioTerrorism Protection Kits.
If you consider purchasing one re-read above. If you'll feel better with a
suit on hand in spite of the obvious futility of protecting yourself  email
me off line & I'll send you a free suit & gloves. You'll have to find your
own respirator. Re-think it,  though, if you are in this category. Doesn't
common sense tell us it's just not practical to carry your bio PPE around
then hurridly put it on when you think you need it? How long could you stay
suited up. And what about your children? Currently, and thankfully, no
children's sized suits are available. Some unscrupulous money grubbing pig
may have some in the works.

Be calm & don't worry - think about the odds. I'm no statistician but they
are astronomically on your side.

Ramble on with a humorous note: We had a request for disposable protective
clothing by an individual for his LIVESTOCK. This guy was DF serious. Can
you picture a cow in a Tyvek coverall?  I'd like to see him try to put one
on his cow !! He was irate that we wouldn't make a special for him> I guess
he was planning on putting a respirator on the cows too !!!  HA HA HA HA HA.

John Petrey, Jr.
Sales Manager
Sunrise Industries, Inc.