Re: [ST] Chain Cleaning

I use WD-40 for chain cleaning, but I never apply it directly to the
chain. I spray it on a coarse towel, then run the chain through it to
clean the side plates and roller external surface of the chain, and the
sprocket teeth if I'm really industrious. If applied directly to the
chain, it has a high probability of penetrating beyond the O rings,
entering the pin OD to roller and inner link plate ID interfaces, and
breaking down the grease that is applied during manufacture of the
chain. Not a good thing.
In my opinion, WD-40 isn't a lubricant for anything much beyond a door
hinge or lock tumblers. It is a good penetrant, but it leaves little
behind in the way of a lubricant, once the carrier has evaporated.
To my way of thinking, the purpose of lubricating a motorcycle drive
chain is: to apply a heavy lubricant to the external surfaces of the
rollers and, to a lesser degree, the inner link plates, to retard shock
and wear of the mating surfaces of the chain and sprockets; and
secondarily, if you travel in a moist climate, to impart a preservative
film to all the external surfaces. I live in the Phoenix area, so I'm
not concerned about rust prevention, but I do want a lubricant that
provides anti wear properties at high temperatures, without throwing
off, and without being so tacky that it attracts and hold all the
abrasive particulates that are prevalent in this area, thus turning the
lubricant into a grinding compound. Not an easy combo to find. I am
presently using Bel-Ray SuperClean Chain Lube, which goes on nice, dries
non-tacky and doesn't sling off, but it doesn't seem to last very long
or have very good shock properties, judging by the noise I hear when I
ride close to a retaining wall. So I use it often.
So there are my thoughts, for what they be worth.
Regards,

Dennis in Scottsdale, AZ
'00 RS miss me Yellow