RE: [ST] 190/50 ZR17 on Sprint ST

> Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 11:29:23 -0500
> From: Tad_Gralewski@xxxxxxxx
> I'm wondering if anyone has fitted a 190/50 rear tyre on a Sprint ST.
> Since it has a 6" rim, it will accept a 180/55, 190/50, or a 200/45.  It
> does appear that there is clearance from the chain and swingarm for a
> 190/50 rear, but I'm wondering if someone can confirm this.
>
> NOTE:  This has nothing to do with poser-points for any of you wondering
> that.  I understand the argument that a 190 may slow down steering a bit,
> and I accept that argument.  I'm more concerned with contact patch at full
> lean angle.  The 180/55 is scrubbed beyond the edge and the
> peg-feelers are
> disappearing at an alarming rate.  I'd sleep a little better at night
> knowing that I had a little more rear tyre back there as lean angles
> increase.

Hi Tad,

Has it ever crossed your mind that increasing the tyre width will mean that
the bike has to lean further over for the same cornering speed? It does!

My hero blobs are well scuffed, but I don't share the paranoia - I don't
believe the ST gets near the limits of good sports rubber.

Regards,
- --
BRG
email: keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx