[ST] Scraping RS bits

I have tried to resist chipping in. Failed.

It seems to me that the race teams go to great lengths to improve clearance
to get maximum angles of lean coincident with the grip available from modern
rubber. They would only do that if it was necessary and could not be avoided
by different lines through corners. However watching different riders
through the same corner demonstrates how much of an effect the rider has,
not so much by his line but by the rate of change of the load on the
suspension. Some throw the bike in and compress the suspension suddenly and
therefore are more likely to reach the limit of ground clearance. Others
turn smoothly and load the suspension more gradually. I had a great view of
this at Macintyres at the bottom of Duffus Dip at Knockhill for the BSBs a
few weeks ago. It is remarkable how noticeable it was on the Superstocks and
Superbikes. (Compare Hayden and Hislop) Less so on the smaller 125s and 250s
but still obvious.
So there is probably right on both sides of this discussion. But even so the
RS is not an out and out scratcher. It is a relatively comfortable long
distance bike so will have a limit to the ground clearance which I (old
fart) have found adequate for the road.

BTW am I the only Scottish based list member (in Russia today)?

David Salty (kippered) Dawg from Aberdeen.