Re:[ST] Darwin's Cornering/surface hazards

This makes a lot of sense. I've never had a problem with ground clearance on roads I know extremely well, regardless of how tight the turn is. In fact, I've experimented with this. The places where I consistantly scrape are corners where I have to follow the tire tracks rather than snapping the bike in because of surface hazards, like gravel, and the one time I grounded the undercarraige hard enough to throw me off my line was on very rough pavement. In addition to choosing a different line in these instances, I also was not hanging off. On the roads I know very well, I tend to hang off a bit, just because the bikes seems to steer a lot nicer when I do that, but on the tight Wisconsin switchbacks where I've been scraping things, I maybe point a knee in, but seldom move my butt around on the seat. Part of the reason is because in these 10-20 mph corners there is not enough time between turns to move around much, and part of it is because I like to be able to weight my outside peg if I run across an unexpected surface hazard like gravel or hay.

>>> "Andrew" <yogig@xxxxxxxxxxxx> - 9/5/01 9:54 PM >>>
You can take the right line and still not be turning in fast enough, but
just kinda floating along the line.  As Keith Code notes, some guys seem
to "Hook" their turn in.  The faster you turn in the more of a hook you
get.  I think of it as more of a carving feel with the front wheel.   If
you are lazy and don't snap the bike in as hard, you can run out of
cornering clearance on any bike.  You can notice it (Pegs dragging) most
on long constant radius turns where you are going fast enough to
compress the suspension (read real fast); this is inevitable.  If you
are dragging pegs in the severe twisties, you are not turning in hard
enough IMO.

I rode maybe 50 laps at Portland Int'l Raceway on my RS back in August.
The only times I scraped anything were the times when I was relaxing,
taking it easy, and not fully concentrating on snapping the front end in
hard.

Andrew
00 Daytona
http://ultrasupercool.com