[ST] RS rev limiter

Does anyone on the list know whether the rev limiter is hard-wired or
software?

I ask because when I first had my RS run-in I actually managed to hit the
limiter a couple of times, and the engine started to do that tell-tale
rough-running thing at just over 9500 rpm. All was well, and for ages I
didn't hit the limiter again (I love that sweet 5-7000 range most).

Recently I had the latest tune (for the carbon can) loaded.

Tonight coming home I was trying to catch someone on an R1 (well, you gotta
try!) so I tucked in and buzzed it hard ... and discovered the needle flying
up to 10,500+, still with no sign of the limiter cutting-in! The engine felt
happy enough at those rpm, I'm pleased to report, in fact it was still
pulling hard ... but where the hell did my limiter go?

Has anyone else had this? Anyone know what's going on? Most important of
all, is it safe to do it again? Cuz it felt goooood!

Barry
00 RS