St Dying occasionally

Ben Snyder wrote:

 > Hey folks, I'm new to the list so I hope this hasnt
 > been asked.  I tried to find something on this in the
 > archives but nothing exactly related to my problem.
 >
 > My bike will just die on me on occassion.....

When this happens, open the fuel cap.  If it draws air in (and you can hear
it), it is dying because it is drawing vacuum on the tank.  On some ST's
there is a check-valve in the tank vent line that was found to be installed
backwards.... not letting air into the tank as fuel is being pumped out of
the tank... most noticeable when riding after filling the tank full.   This
valve is used to prevent spillage when the bike is dumped on its side.  It
will need to be re-installed correctly, or removed totally if you plan on
never dumping the bike :-) , or it could be clogged with crap or something.
Eric's site has a write-up on it somewhere I believe.   Just a thought.  The
vent line is one of those lines that exits under the bike... trace it up to
a cylindrical valve that continues to the tank.

Regards,

David Arnett
Project Engineer
FMC Energy Systems