RE: [ST] Battery and Alarm

> Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 16:57:54 -0400
> From: "Jonathan Culver" <jonathanculver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Q1.The battery is often flat when I try to start the engine. I have a
> Datatool Veto alarm/immobiliser fitted to my '99 ST. Could this draw so
> much current as to flatten the cells?

Yes. It only draws a small current, but it draws this continualy, and if
your bike's inactive for several days, it can run the battery down.

> I tried removing the battery to charge it, but the alarm sounds.
> Can I use a trickle battery charger while the battery is left
> on the bike?

I have been using an OptiMate intelligent [sic] charger on all my bikes for
the last 6 years. Whenever the bike is parked, I connect it up and leave it
alone. Even in Winter, the bike stays connected for weeks on end. The
charger senses the state in the battery, and adjusts/stops the charge
current as required.

Triumph make an accessory to connect this charger to the bike via the
auxiliary socket (next to your left knee). Connection/Disconnection won't
even trigger the Triumph/Veto alarm.

> By letting the bike "tick over" will this be enough to charge the battery
> in times of little use, i.e. through the Winter months.

Unlikely. Without recourse to data, all I can remember is that an alternator
will have a 'cut-in' speed, below which you'll get no charge at all. As the
alternator on the ST motor is not running at engine speed anyway, I can't
say for sure whether there'll be any juice available at the 1,200 rpm
tick-over speed. Anyone help?

Regards,
- --
BRG